YOUNG MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS CHALLENGE MOUNT ELBRUS
Society | August 26, 2002, Monday // 00:00
A team of young mountain climbers from the University Emergency Rescue Unit set off for Caucasus Mountains to challenge the 5648-meter mount Elbrus. To reach the destination they will follow the route of Russian climbers Sidorenko and Maleynov who performed tough rescue operation during the Caucasus battle in World War II. The University Emergency Rescue Unit (UERU ) is a non-governmental organization, established in 1990. The majority of its members are students and lecturers in the Sofia University and the Technical University. UERU workers have been trained to respond to calamity emergencies providing first aid for earthquake, fire and industrial failure dupes. The unit uses mountain climbing techniques to save people stuck in high buildings. In the rescue works after the deadly 1999 Turkish earthquake, UERO operated at one of the worst hit sites - the town of Yalova.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 57 New Cases in the Last 24 Hours
- » The Bulgarian Orthodox Church celebrates the Annunciation
- » "Earth Hour" - We turn off the Lights and Shine a Light on the Problem of Endangered Animal Species
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 148 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Bulgaria has the Lowest GDP per capita in the EU
- » We move the Clocks forward an Hour on Sunday