UK Company Vouches to Build New Sofia Prison
The British company Farans Construction Ltd has sent a letter to the Bulgarian cabinet, stating it is willing to build a new prison in Sofia.
The company, based in Ireland, cited by the Bulgarian daily 24 Chassa (24 Hours), informs it can build two prison complexes for 2 000 inmates in 30 months.
The company has experience if the construction of prisons, public buildings and bridges.
The Bulgarian Justice Ministry announced, as early as November 2009, it was looking for a land plot and investors for a new prison over the shortage of cells and the mounting verdicts from the Human Rights Court in Strasbourg against Bulgaria over poor conditions in Bulgarian prisons.
The UK offer states the European PARIVAF bank is ready to finance the project with a loan of up to EUR 130 M to be repaid in 20 years under preferential conditions.
The project of the Main Directorate "Enforcement of Punishments" for a prison complex includes 3 buildings for 2 000 inmates and 200 detainees to be housed two in a room with a bathroom. The complex will have a sports facility, a school, a hospital and a production shop.
The Justice Ministry created 2 months ago a work group to study suitable land plots. The Sofia City Hall has already provided a land property of 500 decares near the village of Voluyak, adjacent to the capital.
The investment is estimated at BGN 100 M. The Bulgarian consultant for the UK company says inmates will be hired for the construction works, which will further reduce the cost.
- » Sofia is Among the 20 Cities with the Fastest Increase in Prices of Housing in the World
- » Housing Strategy Sets the Overall Policy for the Sector in Bulgaria by 2030
- » The Villages Around the Resorts in Bulgaria Attract with Cheap Properties
- » 42,000 Buildings in Bulgaria Need Renovation
- » The Price of Agricultural Land in Bulgaria has Risen by 5%
- » The Luxury Property Market in Bulgaria