State of Art Sports Arena Opens in Sofia
Bulgaria's Prime Minister, Boyko Borisov, officially opened Saturday the brand-new Sofia sports facility "Armeets Arena.
The Mayor of Sofia, Yordanka Fandakova, and the Minister of Sports and Youth, Svilen Neykov, also attended the ceremony. They all watched the first ever sports competition to be held in the hall – a friendly game between the men national volleyball teams of Bulgaria and Serbia.
On Friday, the organizers of the opening ceremony took journalists on a 52-meter-high platform, which also functions as a restaurant, to show them the facility from above.
The Arena has 12 529 seats and the capacity to hold 19 000 people. It was built in 18 months. It can be used, under the contract, for 8 types of sports, but offers possibilities for the practice of 30. It has a special security system that takes pictures of the spectators and recognizes those banned from sports events over hooligan acts.
24 police teams were engaged Saturday to monitor traffic and movement around the facility.
Spectators were let in between 3 and 5 pm. The invitations were free, but the event has already been marred by numerous reports of their sale on the black market for as much as BGN 40 and of forged invitations. For this reason authorities checked people carefully upon entrance, including by the police.
- » Sofia is Among the 20 Cities with the Fastest Increase in Prices of Housing in the World
- » Housing Strategy Sets the Overall Policy for the Sector in Bulgaria by 2030
- » The Villages Around the Resorts in Bulgaria Attract with Cheap Properties
- » 42,000 Buildings in Bulgaria Need Renovation
- » The Price of Agricultural Land in Bulgaria has Risen by 5%
- » The Luxury Property Market in Bulgaria