Litex Grabs Its Fourth Bulgarian Crown
PFC Litex Lovech sailed through to a 3-1 victory against PFC Lokomotiv Sofia on Saturday evening, ensuring it will retain the Bulgarian championship for the second year in a row.
The goals for Litex were scored by Momchil Tsvetanov, Svetoslav Todorov and Brazilian striker Madureira.
Milen Lahchev from Lokomotiv Sofia set up a nervous finish for the leaders in the 68th minute, but his goal could not make a difference.
The team, led by Lyuboslav Penev, will go into the final game of the season five points ahead of PFC Levski Sofia, making it impossible for the rivals to challenge their crown. PFC Litex Lovech has gained 74 points in 29 matches.
This is the fourth time that the club is crowned Bulgaria's champion after its successes in 1998, 1999 and 2010.
Lovech also clinched a spot in the qualifying rounds of the Champions League next season.
"For the second year proved that we are the best team in the country. Luboslav Penev will remain at the helm of Litex, we are very pleased with his work. The Champions League is our next challenge," the club president Trifon Popov commented after the match.
Meanwhile Levski did their best to pile pressure on the titleholders with a 3-0 success at PFC Akademik Sofia but since Lovech maintained their five-point buffer on top of the Bulgarian A-League, they can't be unseated from their top spot.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Football Icon Dimitar Berbatov Announces Candidacy for Bulgarian Football Union Presidency
- » Football Clubs Unite: Rallying Support for Kidnapped Bulgarian Captains
- » Bulgaria's Nurgyul Salimova and Nadya Toncheva in the Top 10 of Chess Rankings
- » BREAKING: Borislav Mihailov Resigned as President of the Bulgarian Football Union
- » Bulgarian Ex-Minister and Shooting Sports Legend Endorses IOC Neutrality Amid Russia, Belarus Olympic Dilemma
- » How to Develop a Successful Sports Betting Strategy