Osama Bin Laden Buried at Sea
The body of Osama bin Laden, the founder and leader of the Al Qaeda terrorist network, has been buried at sea after being killed early on Monday in an US raid.
The body has been handled according to strict Muslim traditions, which include the burial taking place within 24 hours ofter the death. Even though bin Laden was a Saudi citizen, the Arab kingdom has not wanted his body repatriated, CBS reports.
Burying bin Laden's body at sea would ensure that his final resting place does not become a shrine and a place of pilgrimage for his followers, American network ABC pointed out.
Early on Monday, bin Laden was killed in a military operation in Pakistan that U.S. President Barack Obama ordered on Sunday. U.S. special forces launched a helicopter-borne assault on a closely guarded compound in Abbottabad, 30 miles north-east of Islamabad, on Sunday night, Obama and US officials explained.
Bin Laden and three other individuals, among whom one of his sons and a woman used as a human shield, were killed in a firefight. The operation lasted 40 minutes, according to the Guardian. Six other sons, three wives and four aides were arrested, Lieutenant General Ahmad Shuja Pasha, the director general of Inter-Services Intelligence, said before the Dunaya television.
Osama bin Laden's death is putting an end to the worldwide hunt for him that the US has been staging since after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in New York City, and Washington, DC.
Even before September 11, bin Laden was already on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list.
He had been implicated in a series of deadly, high-profile attacks that had grown in their intensity and success during the 1990s.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 90 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv accused Russia of Attacking Civilians, Zelensky with a Plan “B” if he gets Killed
- » Lavrov: Western Politicians have Obviously Not Learned their Lessons about Russia at School
- » A Bulgarian Delegation will Not Take Part in the Official May 24th Ceremony in Moscow
- » Life Imprisonment for the Russian Soldier convicted of War Crimes
- » Zelensky in Davos: Ukraine needs $5 Billion a Month
- » Biden: Putin must Pay for his Barbarism in Ukraine