Oil Spill Discovered in Bulgarian Dospat Dam
An oil spill of about 60 meters has been located in the waters of the Dospat Dam in the Rhodope Mountains.
Experts from the Regional Inspectorate of Environment and Waters from the city of Smolyan, along with the Dospat municipality and teams of firefighters and police have done a check after receiving a phone call from a citizen around 4 pm Thursday.
The spill is in the northeastern end of the dam, near the shore.
Testing of water samples has been conducted way into the night in order to locate the source of the pollution. The authorities assure they have taken all necessary measures to prevent further oil leaks and expansion of the spill.
The efforts to locate the source continue Friday with experts from the city of Blagoevgrad joining their Smolyan colleagues.
- » At Least 55 Elephants Died of Starvation in just Two Months in Zimbabwe
- » 5.6 Magnitude Earthquake Registered in Iran
- » 6.4 Magnitude Earthquake on the Richter Scale Registered in Vanuatu
- » Sunny Today in Bulgaria, Maximum Temperatures Between 22C and 27C
- » The Etna Volcano Erupted Again
- » Strong Earthquake in Alaska