Oil Spill Discovered in Bulgarian Dospat Dam
An oil spill of about 60 meters has been located in the waters of the Dospat Dam in the Rhodope Mountains.
Experts from the Regional Inspectorate of Environment and Waters from the city of Smolyan, along with the Dospat municipality and teams of firefighters and police have done a check after receiving a phone call from a citizen around 4 pm Thursday.
The spill is in the northeastern end of the dam, near the shore.
Testing of water samples has been conducted way into the night in order to locate the source of the pollution. The authorities assure they have taken all necessary measures to prevent further oil leaks and expansion of the spill.
The efforts to locate the source continue Friday with experts from the city of Blagoevgrad joining their Smolyan colleagues.
- » Temperatures Will Drop, the Real Summer Is Expected in the Beginning of August
- » Rain Showers Accompanied by Thunder Today in Bulgaria, Maximum Temperatures from 25C in Northeast to 35C in Southwest
- » Economic Losses From Bad Weather in Europe in June Will Cost $ 2 billion
- » Sunny with Highs Between 32C and 37C
- » Will the Weather in Bulgaria Surprise us Next Week?
- » Mount Etna WAKES UP