Oil Spill Discovered in Bulgarian Dospat Dam
An oil spill of about 60 meters has been located in the waters of the Dospat Dam in the Rhodope Mountains.
Experts from the Regional Inspectorate of Environment and Waters from the city of Smolyan, along with the Dospat municipality and teams of firefighters and police have done a check after receiving a phone call from a citizen around 4 pm Thursday.
The spill is in the northeastern end of the dam, near the shore.
Testing of water samples has been conducted way into the night in order to locate the source of the pollution. The authorities assure they have taken all necessary measures to prevent further oil leaks and expansion of the spill.
The efforts to locate the source continue Friday with experts from the city of Blagoevgrad joining their Smolyan colleagues.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Ticks Boom Across the Country
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Thunderstorms in Many Places in the Country on July 5
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Summer Storms with Thunder and Hail, Sunny on the Black Sea
- » Weather Today: Rainy Over Western Bulgaria, on the SeaCoast - Perfect for the Beach
- » Weather in Bulgaria, July 2: Sunny and Warm, Temperatures Up to 35 Degrees
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny with Temperatures Up to 36 Degrees on July 1