Spring Snow Reported in Bulgaria's Smolyan
Less than a week before Easter, and two weeks before the end of April, Bulgarians in the Rhodope Mountains woke up under a cover of fresh snow.
In the mountain city of Smolyan the cover has reached 2 cm, the TV channel bTV reports Monday morning.
This is the third snow in Smolyan since the beginning of the month of April.
Traffic police inform the roads are being cleaned, but warn drivers to be cautious, especially those who have already replaced their winter tires with summer ones. In higher elevations, roads are wet and slippery. There is low visibility due to fog.
Late snow is dangerous for orchards and spring vegetables.
Temperatures are finally expected to rise beginning Wednesday, according to the forecast of the Institute for Meteorology and Hydrology at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, BAS.
- » Clear Sky until Noon, some Clouds later Today in East Bulgaria, Highs Between 14-19°C
- » Cloudy Skies with Rain this Afternoon in some Regions of Bulgaria
- » Earthquake Measuring 4.9 Shakes France
- » The Astronomical Spring is Coming
- » Spring Cleaning Campaign in Sofia Begins
- » Sunshine until Noon, Rain Showers later on in some Places in South Bulgaria