Spring Snow Reported in Bulgaria's Smolyan
Less than a week before Easter, and two weeks before the end of April, Bulgarians in the Rhodope Mountains woke up under a cover of fresh snow.
In the mountain city of Smolyan the cover has reached 2 cm, the TV channel bTV reports Monday morning.
This is the third snow in Smolyan since the beginning of the month of April.
Traffic police inform the roads are being cleaned, but warn drivers to be cautious, especially those who have already replaced their winter tires with summer ones. In higher elevations, roads are wet and slippery. There is low visibility due to fog.
Late snow is dangerous for orchards and spring vegetables.
Temperatures are finally expected to rise beginning Wednesday, according to the forecast of the Institute for Meteorology and Hydrology at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, BAS.
- » NIMH: Code Yellow Warning For Heavy Rain with Thunder and Hail
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria, Maximum Temperatures between 23°C and 28°C
- » The EC Creates an Air Fleet to Combat Fires
- » Experts Say the Ocean Level May Rise 2m by the End of the Century
- » Bear Cub Visited a Private Yard of a House in Kladnitsa, Western Bulgaria (Video)
- » A Mild Earthquake Was Registered in the Kresna Seismic Zone