Bulgaria on Alert over Hurricane-like Winds
Strong winds led 24 of Bulgaria's 28 administrative districts to declare a Code "Yellow" alert, the third highest alert level, on Friday.
With the exception of a couple of southern districts, all of Bulgaria is facing winds of up to 85 km/h, according to the National Meteorology and Hydrology Institute of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
The citizens of Elin Pelin and Musachevo located right to the east of Sofia panicked when the strong wind brought a cloud of red dust. According to the regional environmental authorities, the red dust came from one of the storage facilities near the bankrupt Kremikovtzi steel mill.
Several villages in Northern Bulgaria saw the wind knock down trees and electric poles and causing fire in one location.
The hurricane-like gusts of wind tore down 30 power transmission lines in the northern districts of Vratsa, Montana, and Lovech, affecting 45 000 households in 90 towns and villages. Another 19 villages were affected in Southwest Bulgaria, the CEZ power utility announced.
There are reports from around the country of roofs knocked down by the strong wind.
The weather forecasts predict strong winds and low temperatures over the weekend, and better weather on Monday.
- » Cloudy Skies with Rain this Afternoon in some Regions of Bulgaria
- » Earthquake Measuring 4.9 Shakes France
- » The Astronomical Spring is Coming
- » Spring Cleaning Campaign in Sofia Begins
- » Sunshine until Noon, Rain Showers later on in some Places in South Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria Starts the Week with Nice Weather