Bulgaria Appoints 'God-Like' Stoichkov Consul in Barcelona
Legendary Hristo Stoichkov, who led Bulgaria's 1994 World Cup dream team, will be the country's next consul in Barcelona.
"I invited Hristo Stoichkov to serve as Bulgaria's consul in Barcelona and he accepted," Prime Minister Boyko Borisov broke the news on Thursday in an interview for TV channel TV7.
"There he is God, not just a consul, but God," Borisov said in defense of his decision, adding this would boost the nation's confidence.
The appointment should be a fact within a month or two.
Stoichkov is the most internationally renowned Bulgarian footballer, a winner of the World Cup Golden Boot and the Golden Ball, both in 1994.
He played for Barcelona FC in 1990-1995 as part of Johan Cruyff's 'Dream Team'.
Stoichkov, who managed rather unsuccessfully Bulgaria between 2004 and 2007, recently said he was wasting his time as Bulgaria coach.
He last worked as a coach at the South African team Mamelodi Sundowns.
Called 'Kamata' (the Dagger) in his homeland, Stoichkov's fiery reputation is well known both at home and abroad. His aggression has not been limited to the pitch alone, and his outbursts, particularly aimed against referees and journalists, are in a league of their own, the stuff of folklore.
- » President Radev Will Attend the Enthronement of Emperor Naruhito
- » US and Greece with New Ambassadors to Bulgaria
- » E.Zaharieva: Bulgaria Wants Constructive Cooperation with Russia
- » Deputy Prime Minister Ekaterina Zaharieva Is Visiting Croatia
- » The New US Ambassador to Bulgaria Replaces Eric Rubin
- » Bulgaria and Cambodia May Activate their Relations