Bulgaria Appoints 'God-Like' Stoichkov Consul in Barcelona
Legendary Hristo Stoichkov, who led Bulgaria's 1994 World Cup dream team, will be the country's next consul in Barcelona.
"I invited Hristo Stoichkov to serve as Bulgaria's consul in Barcelona and he accepted," Prime Minister Boyko Borisov broke the news on Thursday in an interview for TV channel TV7.
"There he is God, not just a consul, but God," Borisov said in defense of his decision, adding this would boost the nation's confidence.
The appointment should be a fact within a month or two.
Stoichkov is the most internationally renowned Bulgarian footballer, a winner of the World Cup Golden Boot and the Golden Ball, both in 1994.
He played for Barcelona FC in 1990-1995 as part of Johan Cruyff's 'Dream Team'.
Stoichkov, who managed rather unsuccessfully Bulgaria between 2004 and 2007, recently said he was wasting his time as Bulgaria coach.
He last worked as a coach at the South African team Mamelodi Sundowns.
Called 'Kamata' (the Dagger) in his homeland, Stoichkov's fiery reputation is well known both at home and abroad. His aggression has not been limited to the pitch alone, and his outbursts, particularly aimed against referees and journalists, are in a league of their own, the stuff of folklore.
- » Speakers of Parliaments in the Western Balkans Countries Gather on a Meeting in Bulgaria
- » PM Borissov Departs from Cairo to Berenice Naval Base on the Red Sea Coast (PHOTOS)
- » Herro Mustafa Chose a Bulgarian Rose as the Motif of her Ambassador’s Coin
- » Ekaterina Zaharieva to Participate in the Foreign Affairs Council on the situation in Iraq and Libya
- » Bulgaria to Host the Three Seas initiative Summit
- » US Ambassador to Bulgaria Herro Mustafa Met with Defense Minister Karakachanov