Bulgaria Celebrates Honey, Beehives Day
February 10 marks the day of St. Haralambos, the day of honey and beehives for the Bulgarian Orthodox Christians.
A ritual for health and rich harvest is performed in churches across the country. Honey is consecrated in the local church and then all the bread is coated with it. The rest of the honey is kept in the house as a remedy. According to the belief, St. Haralambos blesses the land and it gets warmer and ready to be cultivated.
St. Haralambos is also traditionally believed to be the lord of all illnesses especially the plague. Doing any housework is strictly forbidden that day, because of the fear of any coming illness.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 14 New Cases of COVID-19 in Bulgaria for the last 24 Hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria Today - May 30th
- » South Korea: Many Schools Close Again After Reopening
- » Damage Caused by the Lockdown Worse than the Virus Itself?
- » The Coronavirus Outbreak Did Not Start at the "Wet Market" in Wuhan
- » The Weather Today - May 29th