Bulgarian Parliament Elects Parity Working Group on New Science Academy Law
The working group that will develop the new bill on the Bulgarian Academy of Science will include one MP from each parliamentary group.
This decision was taken Wednesday by the parliamentary Education and Science Committee in a bid to ensure a consensus legislative proposal.
The working group will also include two representatives of the Academy, as well as two representatives of the Ministry of Education, one of which is Minister Sergey Ignatov.
The prior legislative proposal, tabled by ruling GERB party MP Rumen Stoilov under advice by the cabinet, caused a major uproar not only among researchers, but also among all other parliamentary groups - both opposition and GERB allies - over fears that if adopted it would lead to the dismantling of the Academy.
Tuesday at a meeting of ministers, MPs and BAS representatives, PM Boyko Borisov announced a U-turn in the government's intentions, advising all MPs, including GERB's Stoilov, to retract their legislative proposals in a bid to ensure a consensus decision.
In particular, Borisov vowed that the cabinet had no intentions to split the Academy into institutes under the authority of the Ministry of Education - completely contrary to what he had previously claimed.
Among the main points of innovation agreed to at the Tuesday meeting was the creation of a Board of Trustees overseeing BAS and the institution of a strong parliamentary control over the activities of the Academy.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Ministry of Education: Three Scenarios For Starting The New School Year
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: Teachers and Students Infected with Coronavirus at a Prom in Veliko Turnovo
- » Bulgaria: The Аpplication in the High Schools Starts Today
- » Bulgaria: Mathematics Olympiad is Being Held Today, June 29
- » Bulgarian Education Minister Valchev: The New School Year Will Start In Person
- » Bulgaria: Summer Student Programs for the United States Have Been Canceled