Missing Lawyer Delays Bulgaria's High-profile Kidnap Case
The Sofia City Court postponed Monday, for several hours, the new session in the high-profile kidnapping case codenamed "The Impudent."
The magistrates were scheduled to hear more of the victims of the "Impudent" kidnappers gang, which is deemed responsible for at least 13 high-profile abductions in Bulgaria in 2008-2009.
The latest delay came after it was found out a lawyer for one of the defendants failed to appear in the courtroom.
The judge ruled she could not continue with the case in the absence of defense council, and gave a 12-hour recess, during which attempts will be made to get in touch with the attorney.
An aide of the said attorney informed his boss called the law offices Sunday and said he was sick. However, he had not provided explanations for his absence to the Court and never notified the judge.
The Bulgarian elite were terrorized for about 2 years by the kidnappers back in 2008-2009, who are believed to have made several million euros from the ransoms.
Nine individuals arrested during the December 2009 "Impudent" special police operation.
Ivaylo Evtimov and Prokopi Prokopiev were charged with racket and with organizing a kidnap gang. Daniel Dimitrov, Lyubomir Dimitrov, brothers Radoslav and Mitko Lebeshevski, Pavel Petkov, Kiril Kirilov, and Tsvetozar Slavchev, were all charged as accessory to the abductions.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » A 17-year-old Bulgarian was Killed in a Shootout in Copenhagen
- » "Information Service" for Green Certificates: We Repelled the biggest Cyber Attack in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Traffic Police Caught 30 Migrants on Trakia Highway near Sliven
- » Spouses Found Dead in Blagoevgrad, Son is a Suspect of the Murder
- » At Least 116 people have Died in a Prison Riot in Ecuador
- » Demonstrative Murder in Sofia: A Man was Shot Dead at Gerena Stadium