Borisov: Bulgaria Perfectly Reliable External EU Border
Bulgaria is "an extremely reliable" external border of the European Union, according to Prime Minister Boyko Borisov.
Borisov spoke Saturday as he inaugurated three brand-new helicopters provided under the Schengen Area accession instrument, the so called Schengen Instrument, for policing Bulgaria's external EU borders.
"The Bulgarian government and the Interior Ministry are fulfilling their commitment to procuring the best equipment possible for the Bulgarian Border Police in order to secure EU's external borders. By the end of February we will be completely ready with all measures for meeting the technical criteria for Schengen accession that the Cabinet had set," Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov commented in turn.
He announced that the Interior Ministry has started a procedure to hire more border policemen.
"There is no making compromise with the external border of the European Union. Each country entering the Schengen Area will rely on the solidarity of the others," Tsvetanov stated.
The three border police helicopters received Saturday are worth EUR 29 M, and have been purchased from the Anglo-Italian aircraft manufacturer AgustaWestland.
Borisov and Tsvetanov's statements about the security of Bulgaria's external EU borders came a day after on Friday, experts from the Brussels working group on Bulgaria and Romania's Schengen accession concluded that both countries – but especially Bulgaria – have not met yet the technical requirements to join the borderless Schengen Area.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria’s Defense Minister thinks there was an Explosion on Board Prigozhin’s Plane
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov