Former Russian PM Chernomyrdin Dies
Former Russian prime minister Viktor Chernomyrdin, who created gas behemoth Gazprom, has died, the Kremlin said on Wednesday. He was 72.
Chernomyrdin was politically close to former president Boris Yeltsin and served as premier between 1992 and 1998.
President Dmitry Medvedev and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin expressed their sympathies to his family.
After the end of his stint as Russia's ambassador to Ukraine last year, he acted as Medvedev's adviser and special representative on economic cooperation with members of the Commonwealth of Independent States.
As a former minister for the gas industry, he was a for a long time considered one of the country's most influential politicians. After the creation of Gazprom he was elected board chairman of the gas giant.
- » Stephen Ditko, co-creator of Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, Dead at 90
- » The Head of the Chinese Company, which Won the Concession of Plovdiv Airport, has Passed Away
- » The Popular Bulgarian Historian Professor Bozhidar Dimitrov has Passed Away
- » The Great Bulgarian Director and Animator Rumen Petkov has Died
- » Swedish DJ Avicii Dies Aged 28
- » US First Lady Barbara Bush Dies at Age 92