Bulgaria's Kostenets Gunman Claims Self-defense
The Sofia District Court ruled Wednesday to leave permanently behind bars Atanas Stoyanov, charged with the murder of Stefan Matrochiiski, a businessman from the town of Kostenets near Sofia.
The Prosecutor said the murder was premeditated while the defense council claimed self-defense.
Stoynov, who is a former military man, testified he was attacked and provoked by the victim and first shot in the air with his legally owned gun to scare the attacker away.
The defendant's attorney even said it is possible the victim shot himself in the fight that followed while trying to seize his client's gun.
Stoyanov was arrested Sunday, after relatives led the police to his hiding place. He is the prime suspect in last week's shooting of local businessman, Stefan Matrochiiski.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Massive Special Police Operation in Sofia (UPDATED)
- » Representative of Bulgaria’s Ministry of the Interior will be allowed by South Africa to the Investigation into “Karo’s” Murder
- » Europol: 28 Arrested for Smuggling Migrants via Bulgaria and Romania
- » A Security Expert pointed out that Kamenov's Murder was Not Typical of the Bulgarian Crime World
- » Wanted by Interpol Bulgarian Krasimir Kamenov-Karo was Murdered in South Africa
- » Bulgaria: Illegal Migrants are detained near Vladaya after a Chase with the Police