Bulgarian Labor Union Leader Dies at 62
Dr. Zhelyazko Hristov, President of Bulgaria's labor union Confederation of Bulgarian Independent Syndicates, KNSB, has passed away.
The news was announced Wednesday by the Bulgarian National Radio, BNR, in the heels of earlier reports KNSB is staging mass protests across Bulgaria over the new Social Insurance Bill.
Hristov was born on May 13, 1948 in the village of Rogosh, near Bulgaria's second largest city of Plovdiv. He graduated from medical school with the specialty of stomach and chest surgery and worked in the southern city of Haskovo and later at the Medical University in Plovdiv.
In 1990, Hristov became the KNSB Deputy Chair and dedicated his life to the Bulgarian labor unions. He was first elected KNSB President in 1997, and reelected in 2001 and 2007.
Hristov is the recipient of Bulgaria's highest order "Stara Planina."
- » Bulgarian Actor Ivan Laskin Passed Away
- » Bernardo Bertolucci, Oscar-Winning Director of ‘The Last Emperor,’ Dies at 77
- » 'The Real Super Mario' Dies Aged 84
- » Dimitar Petrov, the Director of Beloved Bulgarian Films has Passed Away
- » Charles Aznavour, French Singing Star, Dies at 94
- » Burt Reynolds: Hollywood Star Dies at 82