Bulgarian Eco Activists to Clean up Seven Rila Lakes
Bulgarian environmental activists are organizing a cleanup of trash in the area of the famous Seven Lakes in the southwestern Bulgarian mountain of Rila, August 24-29.
The initiative is organized by Za Zemyata eco-NGO and the authorities of Rila National Park. Everyone is invited to join and help. Work is fully volunteer and participants have to bring own equipments such as tents and suitable clothing.
The Seven Lakes are one of the most famous natural site in Bulgaria – seven blue glacial lakes situated nearby each other at 2100-2500 m above sea level in the northwestern part of rila.
Unfortunately, they are also one of the most frequented wild areas in the country.
2009 an apparently illegal passenger lift was constructed leading up to the Seven Lakes, the area thus becoming even more overcrowded with tourists.
Sunday BGNES reported that the line of parked cars at the lift’s first station in Panichishte is “several kilometers long.”
- » Mount Etna WAKES UP
- » 5.3 Magnitude Earthquake Was Registered in Greece
- » It will be mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria, Isolated Showers and Thunder Possible
- » Mostly Sunny Weather Today, Highs between 27C and 32C
- » Sunny Today, Scattered Showers and Thunder
- » 6.1 Magnitude Earthquake Was Registered in Bali