Closure Looms for Bulgaria's Polluting Thermal Plants
All Thermal Power Plants (TPP) in Bulgaria that pollute the environment will be closed by the end of 2012, Eco Minister, Nona Kardzhova, informs Monday.
The Minister pointed she has no worries about power shortages because the deadline gives TPPs enough time to fulfill the environmental requirements, adding people constantly approach her with demands for clean air for their children.
The environmental requirements have been agreed on and alligned with the European Commission, which is to send shortly extensive questionnaires for the TPPs.
If it is established that the country as whole is bellow the allowed threshold for sulfur dioxide emissions, some compromise is possible, under certain conditions, especially the quality of the atmosphere, Kardazhova explains.
- » Variable Clouds to Sunny Spells over most of Bulgaria this Morning
- » Cloudy Day with Rain in Many Places in Bulgaria, Highs between 12-17°C
- » Considerable Cloudiness Across most of Bulgaria, Rain in some Places in the Afternoon
- » Wild Animals have Eaten Pelican Eggs in "Srebarna" Nature Reserve
- » Fake Sports Goods Detained at Varna West Port
- » Rain in the Afternoon in Western Bulgaria, Snow in the Mountains