Bike Riders from Sofia to Enjoy Special Lanes in 5 Years
The first program for building a network of bike lanes in Sofia is ready, the mayor of Sofia, Yordanka Fandakova has announced.
On Saturday Fandakova awarded students who participated in the traditional bicycle trip marking the end of the academic year.
“It is expected the program to be finished in five years. The start of the program has been funded by the Sofia municipality and for the next stages we will try to find funding from the EU,” the mayor said.
She added that the building of a 7-km bike lane in the Sofia district “Mladost” will begin in the fall.
Over 300 people gathered Saturday morning for the event, which involved a 20-km ride to nearby town of Bankya.
Students were joined by three members of the Bulgarian cabinet: Sergey Ignatov, Minister of Education, Traicho Traikov, Minister of Economy and Energy, and Tomislav Donchev, Minister for EU funds.
- » Plane Crashed near Plovdiv, Two Died
- » Facebook Has Stored Contacts to 1.5 Million People Without Asking Them
- » Variable Clouds to Sunny Spells over most of Bulgaria this Morning
- » More than 30,000 Antique Objects to Return to Bulgaria after Special Operation by Bulgarian and Spanish Authorities (Video)
- » Passenger in Critical Condition after Abrupt Stop by a Public Transport Bus in Varna
- » Medics from the only Paediatric Hospital in Bulgaria Demand Higher Pay and more Staff