Elton John Wows Sofia
Elton John's first-time concert in Bulgaria, far from a mere live rendition of staple pop hits, was a feast of just plain great music played with tons of feeling.
The Sunday show at Sofia's Locomotive stadium was part of the British artist's “Rocket Man” tour, promoting his latest greatest hits compilation.
Sir Elton's band burst into the stage with the immortal “Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding”, setting the tone for an evening of fine musicianship.
The set, which lasted over two-and-a-half hours, put a very welcome emphasis on John's output from the seventies, including gems such as the brooding “Madman Across the Water”.
The band comprised Davey Johnstone (guitar), Bob Birch (bass), Nigel Olson (drums), John Mahon (additional percussion), Kim Bullard (keybords) and Sir Elton himself at the piano. The latter gently dominated the sound, allowing each one of the other five to showcase his craft.
A heavy portion of the songs were graced by improvs, played in impeccable unison by the band members, and culminating in a lengthy outro to the song “Rocket Man”.
The show concluded with hits such as “Bennie and the Jets” and “I'm Still Standing”, and a heartfelt rendition of “Your Song”, which left the audience more than charmed.
- » Save More With a Kitchen Garden
- » More and more Newlyweds Marry at the Ancient Theater in Plovdiv
- » Dospat Rescued Bears will be Sent to Greece for Readaptation (Video)
- » Flora Burgas 2018 Gathers Craftsmen, Florists, Musicians and Artists
- » Kate Middleton Gives Birth to 3rd Baby
- » Bulgarians Make a Rose Garden in London