Bulgarian Authorities Locate Balchik Oil Spill Source
Bulgarian authorities have been able to establish the source of the oil spill spotted near the northern Black Sea coastal town of Balchik Monday.
The oil had leaked from one of the two barges which have been detained over 5 years ago for illegal fishing and since then remain at the pier of the freight port.
The Maritime Administration experts inform the barges’ tanks are empty, but a small quantity of the fuel had remained at the bottom and leaked due to corrosion.
The authorities are taking measures to prevent further leaks and the boats are to come out of the water ASAP.
A task force was formed immediately by teams from the Regional Police, Fire Department, Border Police, Maritime Administration and Civil Defense, which cleaned the spot in less than four hours.
- » Earthquake Measuring 3.2 on the Richter Scale Sensed in Dimitrovgrad and Haskovo
- » In the Afternoon Above the Eastern and Mountainous Regions of Bulgaria Could be Raindfall
- » Yellow Code for Heavy Rains and Thunder in 16 Districts in Bulgaria
- » NIMH: Code Yellow Warning For Heavy Rain with Thunder and Hail
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria, Maximum Temperatures between 23°C and 28°C
- » The EC Creates an Air Fleet to Combat Fires