Lightning Kills Bulgarian Shepherd in Ovcharovo
A 50-year-old shepherd in the Bulgarian village of Ovcharavo was found dead early Tuesday after being struck by lightning.
The shepherd’s body was discovered in a wooded area close to the village by his family, after he did not return home on Monday night. 9 of the sheep that he looked after were also found dead at the site.
According to unconfirmed data an average of 100 people are killed in Europe each year by lightning.
Now that there are satellites that can detect lightning, including in places where there is nobody to observe it, it is known to occur on average 44 times a second, for a total of nearly 1.4 billion flashes per year. 80% of these flashes are in-cloud and 20% are cloud-to-ground.
- » Earthquake Measuring 3.2 on the Richter Scale Sensed in Dimitrovgrad and Haskovo
- » In the Afternoon Above the Eastern and Mountainous Regions of Bulgaria Could be Raindfall
- » Yellow Code for Heavy Rains and Thunder in 16 Districts in Bulgaria
- » NIMH: Code Yellow Warning For Heavy Rain with Thunder and Hail
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria, Maximum Temperatures between 23°C and 28°C
- » The EC Creates an Air Fleet to Combat Fires