Torrential Rains Flood Southwestern Bulgaria
Main streets, houses and hotels in Southwestern Bulgaria have been flooded after torrential rains drenched the region on Saturday.
Strong winds that blew in the region the previous night broke branches, damaging draining facilities and clogging shafts.
The access to a number of villages in the district of Blagoevgrad has been cut in the wake of the torrential rains. The storm destroyed bridges and blocked roads. No electricity blackouts have been reported.
The rain showers will continue in the next few days, coupled with thunderstorms.
Forecasts warn of a slight decline in temperatures by 6-7C with highs pushing the mercury no more than 11-17C.
The only safe haven from the rainy spell can be found in the eastern regions, where the sun will be shining and temperatures will reach 26C.
- » India Warns of 'Extremely Grave' Crisis as Flood Toll Rises
- » Scientists Detail Full Genome of Wheat for First Time
- » Mostly Sunny Today, with some Rain and Thunder in West Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria will have Good Grape Harvest if Weather Remains Hot
- » Mostly Sunny with Nearly Unchanged Temperatures, Highs of 30-35°C
- » Brace for Extra-warm Weather through 2022