Torrential Rains Flood Southwestern Bulgaria
Main streets, houses and hotels in Southwestern Bulgaria have been flooded after torrential rains drenched the region on Saturday.
Strong winds that blew in the region the previous night broke branches, damaging draining facilities and clogging shafts.
The access to a number of villages in the district of Blagoevgrad has been cut in the wake of the torrential rains. The storm destroyed bridges and blocked roads. No electricity blackouts have been reported.
The rain showers will continue in the next few days, coupled with thunderstorms.
Forecasts warn of a slight decline in temperatures by 6-7C with highs pushing the mercury no more than 11-17C.
The only safe haven from the rainy spell can be found in the eastern regions, where the sun will be shining and temperatures will reach 26C.
- » Light Rain can be Expected in East Bulgaria in the Afternoon, Highs between 20° and 25°C
- » Water Levels are Critically Low Along the Danube, Ships Run Aground
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria with Temperatures up to 20-25°C
- » Bulgarian Environment Ministry: Three Nature Parks Get BGN 1.5 million Under OPE
- » Moderate Quake in Halkidiki Rattles Northern Greece
- » Bulgarian Regional Minister Explains Green Buildings for a Common Green Future Project