Poland Bids Farewell to President Kaczynski
Thousands of people are gathering in Krakow for the state funeral of Polish President Lech Kaczynski.
After a funeral Mass, the president will be buried in Wawel Cathedral, the resting place of Poland's kings and national heroes.
The decision to entomb a leader seen as divisive by many during his lifetime in such a hallowed place has sparked protests, the BBC reported.
He and 95 others died eight days ago when their plane crashed in fog en route to a ceremony in Russia.
Many world leaders cannot attend because flights have been grounded by Iceland's volcano.
Russian President Dimitri Medvedev has left for Krakow by plane, despite air travel restrictions, a Kremlin spokesman said.
The state funeral will begin with a Mass at Krakow's St Mary's Basilica. From the city's mediaeval market square, the coffins of the first couple will be carried along a route lined with Polish flags with black ribbons and photos of Lech Kaczynski and his wife Maria.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Scholz: Russia will Not Win its War in Ukraine
- » Day 92 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia Attacked 40 Cities in Donbas, Kyiv Criticizes NATO
- » Poroshenko urges Bulgaria to Close Ports for Russian Ships and Calls for Arbitration over Gazprom
- » Latvia: If Ukraine Loses, We are Next
- » Ukraine will Not Make Territorial Concessions in the Name of Peace with Russia
- » The EC is Proposing to Confiscate the Assets of Violators of EU Sanctions