US Coal Mine Explosion Kills 25 in West Virginia
Twenty-five miners are now known to have died and four are missing after an accident at a West Virginia coal mine.
The accident was caused by an underground explosion at the Upper Big Branch mine some 50 km south of Charleston in the eastern US.
The blast happened around 1900 GMT, said the mine's owner Massey Energy Company, cited by the BBC.
The number of fatalities makes this the worst US mine disaster since 1984. Rescue efforts have been suspended.
Safety officials said rising methane gas levels had heightened the risk of another explosion.
The operation would resume as soon as conditions allowed, Massey Energy said.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Medvedev: If Moscow is Forced to use Nuclear Weapons in Ukraine, NATO will Not Retaliate
- » Day 216 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Fighting Continues on the Last Day of “Referendums” in Occupied Regions
- » At least 76 Victims of the Protests in Iran
- » 17 are the Victims of Yesterday's Shooting in Russia
- » Putin denounces "Inhuman Terrorist Attack" at Russian School
- » Russian Services have sent Forces to the Border with Georgia “Just in Case”