Bulgaria Orthodox Church Celebrates Day of Last Judgment
The Bulgarian Orthodox Church celebrates this Sunday as the Day of the Last Judgment, the Second Sunday before Great Lent, eight weeks before Easter.
Traditionally, this is the last week when young people may gather together to sing and play together, before all believers begin a period of fasting for Lent.
During the fast, eating of meat is forbidden, so on this day, the traditional meal consists entirely of such dishes, before the following weeks when believers avoid consumption of all meat, meat products, fish, eggs, dairy, wine and oil.
Church services turn to contemplation of the Last Judgment, with the reading of passages of scripture recalling the tragic consequences of sin, and calls to look out for your neighbor, and for personal virtue.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » “Thracian Secret Societies” available in English and Bulgarian for All the History Buffs
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 801 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Woman, Life, Freedom... Protest in front of the Iranian embassy in Sofia
- » Bulgaria is First in the EU in Mortality from Cardiovascular Diseases
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 752 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Top 5 Most Useful Apps for Travelling Internationally