Bulgaria Winter Resorts Hit by Greek Farmers Border Blockade
Local tourist companies have reported a huge drop in tourist numbers in Bulgaria’s main winter resorts over the blockade by Greek farmers of the Bulgaria-Greece border.
Sandanski, Bansko ans the entire South-West region of Bulgaria have reported a drop in tourists since last week when the first rumors of a possible blockade of the Bulgarian-Greek border came out in the local media.
Since last week, Greek tour operators have begun to refuse reservations at Bulgarian hotels, as Greek tourists have no certainty that they will be able to cross the border into Bulgaria.
”The situation is very bad. Millions of euros are being lost - not only in Sandanski, but in Bansko and the whole region, “ local tourist officials reported.
Bulgaria Prime Minister, Boyko Borisov, earlier Tuesday requested EUR 10 M from the European Union for the ongoing blockade of the Bulgaria-Greek border by Greek farmers, who started to block the Bulgarian border for ten days from Monday as they rally against unpaid subsidies and low prices for their production.
- » BDZ Provides Nearly 8,000 Extra Seats For the Holiday Weekend
- » Wizz Air is the Best Low Cost Airline of the Year According to the European Aviation Awards
- » On Independence Day: BDZ Launches Retro Train
- » Bulgaria Is the Third Most Attractive Destination for Foreigners in the Region
- » Turkish Airlines Adds Direct Flights to the Vietnamese Cities of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City
- » There Will Be Three New Destinations from Bulgaria in the Airlines' Winter Schedule