Powerful Earthquake Rocks Haiti, Many Feared Dead
A magnitude 7,3 earthquake off the Haitian coast has rocked the capital and sparked a tsunami alert for states in the immediate vicinity.
Eyewitnesses reported that a hospital and other buildings had collapsed and people were calling for help, the BBC reported.
Tuesday's earthquake was centred about 15km south-west of Port-au-Prince, according to the US Geological Survey.
It was quickly followed by two strong aftershocks of 5,9 and 5,5 magnitude.
The US Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said there was the possibility of a local tsunami that could affect "coasts located usually no more than a 100km from the earthquake epicentre".
A tsunami watch was in effect for Haiti, the neighbouring Dominican Republic, Cuba and the Bahamas.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 340 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv is Negotiating the Supply of Long-Range Missiles
- » Former NATO General became the New President of the Czech Republic
- » Day 339 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Heaving Fighting for Vuhledar and Bakhmut
- » Austria and the Netherlands are "United in Opposition to Schengen Expansion"
- » 2023 Bosnia and Hercegovina: Putinians to Establish Institutional Control of the Country
- » Ursula von der Leyen: Strengthening the Bulgarian-Turkish Border is a Priority