FIFTH ANNIVERSARY OF ADOPTING CURRENCY BOARD SYSTEM MARKED
Business | June 5, 2002, Wednesday // 00:00| Views: | Comments: 0
On June 5 five years ago the National Bank of Bulgaria Act was adopted, which introduced the Currency board system in Bulgaria. The currency board arrangement is one of the successful political decisions of the last few years, said Martin Zaimov, Deputy Governor of the National Bank of Bulgaria (BNB) and head of the bank's Issue Department, which performs the currency board's functions. The law pegged the national currency to the German mark at an exchange rate of 1,000:1. The rate was updated to 1:1 after the redenomination of the lev in 1999. Most importantly, the law imposed rigorous restrictions on central bank lending to support the national budget and on refinancing of commercial banks.The currency board arrangement in Bulgaria has refuted its critics, Steve Hanke of John Hopkins University, known as "father" of the arrangement, said at the opening of Investment Forum 2002 in Sofia June 3.Business » Be a reporter: Write and send your article Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
- » Bulgarian Arms Maker VMZ Sopot to Start Drone Production
- » 200 Companies in China are Interested to Invest in Bulgaria
- » From $ 1.27 to $ 1849: How Much Does it Cost to Use Internet Around the World in Comparison with Bulgaria?
- » Huawei is Working on its Own Voice Assistant to Rival Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- » Bulgaria’s Jobless Rate Increased by 0.3% Month-on-Month to 5.9% at the End of October
- » The EU Invests Over EUR 290 mln in Bulgarian Rail Transport
Please, log in to post a comment.
» To the forumComments (0)