Injury Crisis Hits Bulgaria World Cup Qualifier Preparations
Bulgaria's preparations for Saturday's World Cup qualifier against Ireland in Sofia have been hit by a defenders injury crisis.
Litex Lovech star defender, Mihail Venkov, who was only recently called up by Bulgaria coach Stanamir Stoilov, has pulled out of the squad after sustaining a knee injury in training on Thursday. He joins fellow defenders Zahari Sirakov and Alexandar Tunchev on the sidelines.
The Energie Cottbus midfielder Stanislav Angelov is also doubtful with a groin injury.
On the positive side, Bulgaria will welcome back star trio Dimitar Berbatov, Valeri Bojinov and Martin Petrov into their starting line-up after they had missed recent games for their country because of injury.
"We know that Ireland will be searching for a positive result and I expect a very tough encounter," Stoilov stated Thursday.
Bulgaria are third in Group Eight with seven points from five matches. Italy top the standings with 14 points from six matches followed by Ireland on 12.
- » Tiafoe Comes of Age with Win over Dimitrov
- » Grigor Dimitrov For the Fifth Time in Melbourne Last Round
- » Grigor Dimitrov Fights to Come Through in Four Sets Against Pablo Cuevas
- » Grigor Dimitrov Reaches the 2nd Round of the Australian Open
- » Club from the Premier League and Two from the Championship want Bulgarian Footballer of the Year
- » Three British Clubs Interested in Emerging Bulgarian Football Star Despodov