Bulgaria Thracian City of Perperikon with EUR 2,6 M Tourist Center
A tourist center for EUR 2,6 M will be constructed at the site of the ancient Thracian city of Perperikon in Southern Bulgaria.
The construction of the new tourist center will start and the end of June, and is financed by EU's PHARE Program, the top Bulgarian archaeologist Professor Nikolay Ovcharov announced Tuesday.
The first sod of the new tourist center will be turned during the Ninth International Festival Perperikon 2009, which will take place in the nearby city of Kardzhali June 22-30, 2009.
The construction of the Perperikon Tourist Center will employ 120 people, and another 130 will be working on the continuing excavations on the site of the ancient Thracian city.
Ovcharov has announced that 250 000 tourists visited Perperikon in 2008. During the 2009 May holidays (May 1-6), the Thracian city was visited by 20 000 people.
The Thracian city of Perperikon is an ancient archaeological complex located 15 km north of the city of Kardzhali. It is believed to be site of the sanctuary of god Dionysus which was widely known in the ancient world.
Human activity at Perperikon dates back to 5 000 BC, and in the Middle Ages the former ancient sanctuary became a key fortress controlling the Eastern Rhodoppe Mountains.
Professor Nikolay Ovcharov started the excavation works at Perperikon in 2000 and has revealed part of a stunning ancient architectural complex which is still being unearthed.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Greece Puts the Island of Poros under Curfew After Rise in Coronavirus Cases
- » Mandatory PCR Test for Bulgarians From Three Districts Entering Germany
- » 70 Euros for COVID-19 Test at the Thessaloniki Airport
- » August 8: Switzerland Lifts Quarantine Requirenment for People Coming from Bulgaria but Norway Introduces It
- » Norway: Mandatory Quarantine for People Arriving from France, Switzerland and the Czech Republic
- » Entering Greece by Land at Night Can be Done Only Through "Kulata - Promahon" Border Checkpoint