Kosovo Awards US Vice-President Biden Golden Medal of Freedom
The newly independent Republic of Kosovo awarded Thursday US Vice-President Joe Biden its highest medal.
"Thank you... for honoring me with this medal. I was just presented with the (Golden) Medal of Freedom. I don't deserve it, but I received it on behalf of the U.S.," Biden said as quoted by BGNES.
Vice-President Biden is the highest-ranking American official to visit Kosovo after it declared independence from Serbia on February 17, 2008. He has been a strong proponent of Kosovo's independence.
"The U.S. has made clear that the independence of Kosovo is irreversible and it will not change. A whole and united Kosovo is a known requirement... of U.S. policy. A united Kosovo is absolutely essential," Biden said in Prishtina where he was welcomed by cheering crowds and huge "thank you" banners.
Before going to Kosovo, Biden visited Sarajevo and Belgrade, where he told Serbian President Boris Tadic that the recognition of independent Kosovo was not a necessary prerequisite for Serbia to get US support for joining the EU.
Since the 1990s Biden has been of the most ardent supporters of US intervention in the Western Balkans. In his autobiography published in 2007, the present US Vice-President states the thing about his career that he was proud of the most, was his work on the Balkans.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
World » Be a reporter: Write and send your article Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
- » Turkey will Block the Accession of Sweden and Finland to NATO
- » Lavrov: With the arrival of Scholz, Germany lost the last Signs of Independence
- » The Red Cross has accused Europe of "Double Standards" with Ukrainian Refugees
- » Colonel on Russia TV1: The Whole World is Against Us
- » Hungary is Not Giving In to the Oil Embargo Against Russia, Asks EU for up to €18 Billion
- » European Fashion Council with a Historic Contribution to the United Europe