Bulgarian Sailors Hijacked by Somali Pirates
Somali pirates have hijacked a British-owned cargo ship with Bulgarian sailors aboard, after 48 hours of plunder at sea, the Times reported.
The 32,000-tonne Malaspina Castle, which flies a Panamanian flag, was reportedly taken on Monday morning in the Gulf of Aden.
She was the fifth ship snatched in two days off the Somali coast despite naval patrols along main shipping lanes.
The vessel has a crew of 24, from Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria and the Philippines.
The number of the Bulgarian sailors was not immediately known.
The Bulgarian Foreign Ministry said they have not yet received official information about the incident.
Somalia's pirates had been having a quiet year after their bumper haul in 2008, when they took almost 50 vessels.
Pirates are currently holding at least 15 vessels with some 250 crew members.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: The Husband of the Murdered 28-year-old Mother of Two Children faces 20 Years in Prison
- » Bulgaria: Young Mother of Two was found Dead – Husband has been Arrested
- » Bulgaria: 12 Immigrants from Syria were Detained in Sofia in a Car with Serbian Registration
- » Bulgarian Interior Minister: Migrant Traffickers Fly at 200 km/h – Our Police Cars can’t Catch them!
- » Greece detained Bulgarians for defrauding Elderly People for over 260,000 euros
- » Two Ukrainians were detained for Theft in Burgas, Bulgaria