Durex Maker Expands in Eastern Europe
SSL International Plc, the manufacturer of Durex condoms, will boost its presence in eastern Europe just as the region's economic meltdown turns investors away, Chief Executive Officer Garry Watts announced, as cited by Bloomberg agency.
The U.K. maker of Durex and Contex brands plans to raise its stake in a unit that distributes contraceptives in Russia and nine other eastern European countries to 50 percent by April and expects to take full ownership by 2010, Watts said.
"Russian people aren't going to stop having sex any more than British people are," Watts, 52, said in an interview in London. "We're not immune from the downturn, but it's a bit like Pizza Hut: If you're not going out, then you might be willing to drop a five-pound vibrator ring into your trolley."
About 90 percent of newly reported HIV cases in Eastern Europe and Central Asia were in Russia and the Ukraine in 2006, according to a UNAIDS report.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kristalina Georgieva: The World Economy is Slowing Down because of the US, China and Omicron
- » IMF: Global Growth is Slowing, Inflation is Rising
- » Bulgaria: Bread and Grain Products Rose in Price more than the Average Inflation
- » Bulgaria: One Billion BGN are Provided in the 2022 Budget for Food Vouchers
- » Bulgarian Experts: Life will Continue to Become More Expensive in the Coming Months
- » The Fitch BBB Rating of Bulgaria with a Positive Outlook has been Confirmed