Ancient Church, Necropolis Discovered in Bulgaria's Veliko Tarnovo
The temple, called "St. Ivan Rilski", is the place where the relics of the saint were once saved before being sent to the Rila Monastery.
"It took us a month to find the church. Unfortunately, it is not completely preserved but even the remains could show us its magnificence," Ovcharov said.
Near the temple the scientists discovered a unique necropolis, where only aristocrats are supposed to have been buried.
A golden ring with a two-head eagle as well as numerous silver coins, jewelry and ceramic utensils were also found at the site.
"The bird on the ring was a symbol of the dignity of the Orthodox countries rulers in 14th century, which reveals it belonged to a boyar," the archaeologists commented.
- » Night of Scientists Hosted By Pleven Medical University
- » CineLibri 2016 To Present Frédéric Beigbeder,Arnon Grunberg, Catherine Bernstein, Jiri Menzel
- » Two-Thirds of Deaths in Bulgaria Linked to Cardiovascular Diseases
- » Bulgaria Ranks 46th in Bloomberg's Healthcare System Index
- » Bulgaria Ranks 2nd Worldwide In Terms Of Deats Due To Air Pollution
- » Pioneering Maritime Archaeology in Black Sea