11 Helicopter Crash Victims Buried in Macedonia
The Mi-17, taking the Bosnia peacekeepers back home, crashed near the capital Skopje minutes before landing on Saturday.
"We have not seen such a tragic lost of Macedonian soldiers in the country's recent history," President Branko Crvenkovski said at a memorial ceremony, as cited by local media.
The government has created a special body to investigate the cause of the crash.
Authorities report that moments before the incident the pilot told the air control of problems and that he losing altitude.
The 11 peacekeepers, between the ages of 26 and 40, were buried in their hometowns of Skopje, Kumanovo, Strumica, and Gevgeliya.
- » Hungary Mulls Unprecedented Internet Tax
- » European Union to Boost Ebola Research with EUR 24.4M
- » Sweden Ends Search for Suspected Submarine
- » Doctor Back from Africa Tests Positive for Ebola at New York Hospital
- » Ottawa Shooting Suspect Identified as Canadian Islamic Convert Michael Zehaf-Bibeau
- » US Air Strikes Help Iraq Repel IS Offensive on Mosul Dam