11 Helicopter Crash Victims Buried in Macedonia
The Mi-17, taking the Bosnia peacekeepers back home, crashed near the capital Skopje minutes before landing on Saturday.
"We have not seen such a tragic lost of Macedonian soldiers in the country's recent history," President Branko Crvenkovski said at a memorial ceremony, as cited by local media.
The government has created a special body to investigate the cause of the crash.
Authorities report that moments before the incident the pilot told the air control of problems and that he losing altitude.
The 11 peacekeepers, between the ages of 26 and 40, were buried in their hometowns of Skopje, Kumanovo, Strumica, and Gevgeliya.
- » Vice President Georgieva To Leave EC for 1 Month
- » 5.4-Magnitude Earthquake Hits Rodos Island
- » Turkey Fires 87 Secret Service Employees
- » Slovakian PM Fico: Asylum Seekers Quotas Are Politically Exhausted
- » Merkel Calls For Agreements on Migrants With Tunisia, Egypt
- » Turkish Security Services Draft New List of 20,000 Suspected Gulen Supporters