Stoitzov Wins First Gold for Bulgaria at Weightlifting World Champs
Stoitzov was sixth after the clean and jerk lift with 158 kilos, but was best in the snatch lift, winning with a total of 363 kilos.
His title win is the first weightlifting gold medal won by Bulgarian athletes since 2004, with Ivaylo Filev in the 62 kilograms category and Demir Demirev in the 69 kilograms category winning bronze in Thailand.
Bulgaria has traditionally been a force to be reckoned with in world weightlifting but over the last decade, the sport has been tarnished by numerous bans on athletes for doping, with Bulgaria seen as one of the worst offenders.
- » Bulgaria's Pulev Opponent Pulls Out of Upcoming Fight
- » Russia’s Zenit Latest in Line for Bulgarian Youngster
- » Fulham Coach Praises Bulgaria’s Berbatov, Rules out Transfer Rumors
- » Berbatov to Seek Fulham Exit in January - Report
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Makes It to ATP's Hottest Shots of 2013
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Says It is His Turn Now