Notorious Bosnian Muslim Warlord Shot Dead
The victim, Ramiz Delalic, or "Celo", was shot dead late on Wednesday, thus becoming the latest in a string of shootings of underworld figures in the Bosnian capital.
"The information about the shooting came from citizens and when the police came to the scene they found the dead body of Ramiz Delalic," a police spokesman said.
Delalic, 44, was standing trial before a local court for the March 1992 killing of a man during a Serb wedding in old Sarajevo, an episode many Serbs say triggered the 1992-95 war.
Delalic was one of several underworld figures who helped defend Sarajevo against former Yugoslav army and Bosnian Serb forces but then ran racketeering and extortion rings. Some of them detained, beat or killed Serb civilians.
The investigation into the murder is under way.
- » Dutch Call for Deportation of Putin's Daughter From the Netherlands
- » Missing Air Algerie Passenger Plane with 116 on Board Crashes in Niger
- » Algerian Plane with 110 Passengers On Board Goes Missing
- » Taiwan Plane Crash Leaves over 40 Dead
- » Donbass Rebels 'Down Two Ukrainian Su-25 Fighters'
- » Germany Questions Appropriateness of Russia's Hosting FIFA World Cup