Porn Domain ".xxx" Rejected Again
The proposal by Toronto-based Internet domain operator ICM Registry LLC was voted down 9-5 by the board of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
In a transcript of the meeting posted on ICANN's Web site, Roberto Gaetono, a board member, said he was reluctant to approve the proposal because a "large part of the community thinks that if we approve dot-xxx, all that material ... will magically move into dot-xxx, and therefore children will be protected, because it will be easy to filter. That, in my opinion, is not going to happen."
ICANN also expressed concern in a Friday statement that such a domain would raise "significant law enforcement compliance issues because of countries' varying laws relating to content."
ICM Registry had touted the ".xxx" domain, saying it would allow adult Web site operators to better comply with regulators and provide families with a tool to filter their children's exposure to adult content.
- » Bulgaria Climbs 4 Places in Survey of Most Popular Global Markets for Retailers in 2015
- » Agriculture Ministry, Tobacco Producers Agree on Distribution of BGN 107 M in Top-up Payments
- » Over 700 000 Germans Visited Bulgaria for Tourism Purposes in 2014 - Minister
- » Bulgarian Fast Food Chain Aladin Foods Sets Foot in Romania
- » Bulgaria’s GDP Increased by 1.7% Year-on-Year in 2014
- » 60K Ltd Strike Gold in Las Vegas!