Porn Domain ".xxx" Rejected Again
The proposal by Toronto-based Internet domain operator ICM Registry LLC was voted down 9-5 by the board of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).
In a transcript of the meeting posted on ICANN's Web site, Roberto Gaetono, a board member, said he was reluctant to approve the proposal because a "large part of the community thinks that if we approve dot-xxx, all that material ... will magically move into dot-xxx, and therefore children will be protected, because it will be easy to filter. That, in my opinion, is not going to happen."
ICANN also expressed concern in a Friday statement that such a domain would raise "significant law enforcement compliance issues because of countries' varying laws relating to content."
ICM Registry had touted the ".xxx" domain, saying it would allow adult Web site operators to better comply with regulators and provide families with a tool to filter their children's exposure to adult content.
- » Bulgaria's Construction Production Index Up 0.5% M/M in Oct 2013
- » Bulgarian Socialists Breaking Belene NPP Promise, Says Ex-IM
- » Nearly 1000 Firms in Bulgaria Delayed Salaries in 2013
- » Bulgarian MPs Mull Tax on All Types of Electricity Producers
- » Construction of Zinc Plant in Bulgaria's Kardzhali to Start in 2014
- » Bulgaria Mulls Setting Up Agency to Restrict Land Use by Foreigners