Wheeled Library Sets on Bulgaria-wide Tour
The idea, which will be implemented for the first time in the country after the example of other states, was presented by Deputy Culture Minister Nadezhda Zaharieva.
Herself a poet and a widow of prominent Bulgarian author Damyan Damyanov, Zaharieva believes every reader deserves to meet something new on the book market.
The wheeled bus-library will drop by every village, every neighbourhood, even it has a sole resident, she noted.
Every seventh Bulgarian or 13% of the country's population is illiterate, according to latest surveys. The worrisome percentages of illiteracy among Bulgarians is pertaining mainly to the ethnic minority groups, such as Roma population where 60% of the youth lacks basic education.
- » EU Grants EUR 1.9 M to Bulgaria for Flood Recovery
- » Bulgaria MP Committee Turns Down Constitutional Changes
- » Bulgaria, Ukraine Presidents Agree to Renew Sofia-Kiev Flights
- » Greece’s Stability Important for Bulgaria, Borisov Tells Tusk
- » Stoltenberg Sees No Immediate Threat to any NATO Member State - BNR
- » Bulgarian, Ukrainian FMs Discuss Possible Launching of Ferry on Danube