Wheeled Library Sets on Bulgaria-wide Tour
The idea, which will be implemented for the first time in the country after the example of other states, was presented by Deputy Culture Minister Nadezhda Zaharieva.
Herself a poet and a widow of prominent Bulgarian author Damyan Damyanov, Zaharieva believes every reader deserves to meet something new on the book market.
The wheeled bus-library will drop by every village, every neighbourhood, even it has a sole resident, she noted.
Every seventh Bulgarian or 13% of the country's population is illiterate, according to latest surveys. The worrisome percentages of illiteracy among Bulgarians is pertaining mainly to the ethnic minority groups, such as Roma population where 60% of the youth lacks basic education.
- » Bulgaria Defense Ministry to Dispatch 180 Troops along Border with Turkey
- » Two Bulgarian Nationals Arrested in Libya for Alleged Smuggling
- » Finance Ministry Reverses Controversial Changes to Pension Insurance
- » Bulgarian Cabinet Makes Governance Programme Public
- » Bulgaria Foresees New Investments for Municipalities Hosting Refugees
- » Proposal to Increase Social Insurance Could Lead to Higher Unemployment - CEIB