MEP Wants Roma Vice-Ministers in Bulgaria
Els de Groen recommended Rumyan Russinov to step in as Vice-Minister of Employment and Social Integration of the Roma at the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy.
Hristo Kyuchukov was proposed for Vice-Minister on Roma Educational Integration at the Ministry of Education and Science.
"Bulgaria, as a candidate country for the European Union, has to take in account the European Parliament's Joint Resolution on Roma in the EU of April 2005. The Resolution states that Roma should be included at all administration and decision-making levels," Els de Groen said Wednesday in an open letter to Bulgaria's President, prime minister and other members of the new cabinet.
Bulgaria is due to appoint 71 vice-ministers in the forthcoming days.
Representing the Roma among them, according to de Groen, would mean that Bulgaria endorses the EP resolution, and is seriously preparing for EU membership.
The country is now struggling to implement necessary reforms so that EU entry takes place on January 1, 2007.
- » One in Four Bulgarians to Vote for GERB in Next Elections – Poll
- » Fiasco and Hope After Bulgarian Government Resignation - Der Standard
- » President Rosen Plevneliev Urges Full Disclosure of 'KTB Files'
- » President Plevneliev: Parliament to Solve Key Tasks Before Dissolution
- » GERB Leader Boiko Borisov Returns Mandate
- » Outgoing PM Plamen Oresharski: I Have No Regrets