CSKA Claim Amazing 1-0 over Liverpool
Valentin Iliev became the hero for Bulgarian football fans, when he hit the British net in the 15th minute.
Liverpool's dramatic efforts to reverse the score came to nought at the legendary Anfield Stadium.
What should have been a comfortable night turned into a real struggle, Liverpoolfc.tv wrote on Tuesday.
The host team faced CSKA Sofia without several key players, including Jamie Carragher, Xabi Alonso and injured captain Steven Gerrard.
The match was a return for the first leg of a Champions League qualifier, when Liverpool won 3-1 over CSKA at the Vassil Levski Stadium in Sofia. During the August 10 clash, CSKA fans shouted racist insults at Liverpool's Djibril Cisse, which brought a FIFA sanction of CHF 30,000 to the Sofia squad.
The last time CSKA Sofia defeated Liverpool was in 1982.
- » Fulham Sign Bulgarian Defender Bodurov
- » First Bulgarian Climber Conquers K2
- » Grigor Dimitrov to Skip Tournament in Washington Over Illness
- » Mountain Auto Rally “Uzana” Cancelled after Fatal Accident
- » Bulgarians Spent Over EUR 104 000 at 2014 World Cup
- » Michael Schumacher Is Showing Signs Of Recovery