CSKA Claim Amazing 1-0 over Liverpool
Valentin Iliev became the hero for Bulgarian football fans, when he hit the British net in the 15th minute.
Liverpool's dramatic efforts to reverse the score came to nought at the legendary Anfield Stadium.
What should have been a comfortable night turned into a real struggle, Liverpoolfc.tv wrote on Tuesday.
The host team faced CSKA Sofia without several key players, including Jamie Carragher, Xabi Alonso and injured captain Steven Gerrard.
The match was a return for the first leg of a Champions League qualifier, when Liverpool won 3-1 over CSKA at the Vassil Levski Stadium in Sofia. During the August 10 clash, CSKA fans shouted racist insults at Liverpool's Djibril Cisse, which brought a FIFA sanction of CHF 30,000 to the Sofia squad.
The last time CSKA Sofia defeated Liverpool was in 1982.
- » Bulgaria Loses to Argentina in Last Volleyball World League Match
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Suffers Heavy Defeat in Third Round of Wimbledon
- » Bulgaria to Have Nine Representatives in UEFA Committees
- » Bulgaria's Rising Basketball Star Vezenkov Reportedly Joins Barcelona
- » Bulgaria's Beroe Wins, Litex Draws in First Qualifying Round of Europa League
- » Bulgaria's Ludogorets Signs Captain of Romanian Football Champion