CSKA Claim Amazing 1-0 over Liverpool
Valentin Iliev became the hero for Bulgarian football fans, when he hit the British net in the 15th minute.
Liverpool's dramatic efforts to reverse the score came to nought at the legendary Anfield Stadium.
What should have been a comfortable night turned into a real struggle, Liverpoolfc.tv wrote on Tuesday.
The host team faced CSKA Sofia without several key players, including Jamie Carragher, Xabi Alonso and injured captain Steven Gerrard.
The match was a return for the first leg of a Champions League qualifier, when Liverpool won 3-1 over CSKA at the Vassil Levski Stadium in Sofia. During the August 10 clash, CSKA fans shouted racist insults at Liverpool's Djibril Cisse, which brought a FIFA sanction of CHF 30,000 to the Sofia squad.
The last time CSKA Sofia defeated Liverpool was in 1982.
- » World Cup 2014 Groups Drawn
- » Bulgaria's Pulev Opponent Pulls Out of Upcoming Fight
- » Russia's Zenit Latest in Line for Bulgarian Youngster
- » Fulham Coach Praises Bulgaria's Berbatov, Rules out Transfer Rumors
- » Berbatov to Seek Fulham Exit in January - Report
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Makes It to ATP's Hottest Shots of 2013