FOREIGN MINISTRY: THERE ARE NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS IN BULGARIA
"Numerous checks about the presence of nuclear weapons have been conducted in connection with Bulgaria's bid for full membership of NATO and membership of the Australia Group," Poptodorova specified.
"What the film shows is a rather absurd invention," she said. Poptodorova explained that the case has been checked by the defence and interior ministries and by the intelligence services. She stressed that the check was not about nuclear weapons but about a breakdown of the arms control mechanism. No breaches have been detected, Poptodorova added.
The Foreign Ministry is expecting a reaction from the film's authors and from the channel that broadcast it. A tape of the broadcast has not yet been made available to the ministry, even though it has requested one, Poptodorova reiterated.
- » EUObserver: Bulgaria Eyes Greek Crisis Warily
- » World Bank: Bulgaria Needs to Increase Productivity to Battle Demographic Crisis
- » Bloomberg: Grexit Threatens Bulgarian, Romanian Banking Industries
- » WSJ: Pro-Western Bulgaria Is One of Putin's Targets
- » NY Times: Bulgaria Fears Spillover of Greece Baking Trouble
- » The Guardian: Sofia Is 'Social Behind a Socialist Facade'