15 Dropouts of Bulgaria's Next Iraq Unit
The news was broken by Bulgarian Darik radio. A total of 450 military men are already part of Bulgaria's next peacekeeping unit for Iraq.
The same problem bothered the country's Defense Ministry in December. Soldiers from Bulgaria's second unit decided to quit following the December 27 attack that claimed the life of five Bulgarians in Iraq. Those were Bulgaria's first casualties in Iraq.
After Senior Sergeant Dimitar Dimitrov was killed in an ambush in Karbala in April many soldiers from the second battalion that is already in Iraq filed reports to return to Bulgaria. Last week, however, Bulgaria's Army Chief Gen. Nikola Kolev explained that the soldiers that decide to quit their mission in Iraq should be punished.
- » President to Attend Holocaust Remembrance Ceremonies in Poland, Czech Republic
- » Bulgaria Defense Ministry to Dispatch 180 Troops along Border with Turkey
- » Two Bulgarian Nationals Arrested in Libya for Alleged Smuggling
- » Finance Ministry Reverses Controversial Changes to Pension Insurance
- » Bulgarian Cabinet Makes Governance Programme Public
- » Bulgaria Foresees New Investments for Municipalities Hosting Refugees