Al-Qaeda "Roots Easily" on the Balkans
US antiterrorism experts have voiced an alarm that due to the relative poverty of the local people terrorist and mafia groups meet little resistance along their channels for drug, arms and human trafficking.
The Al-Qaeda affiliates is actively searching for new routes eyeing the Balkans as a perfect location for settling their terrorist cells, experts said.
Lax institutional control and corruption practices offer additional tints of attraction to terror groups' interest in the Balkans.
Antiterrorist experts have warned also about the spotted increased terrorist recruitment activity in the region.
- » Bulgaria's Unemployment in August Hits Lowest Level of 7.7% Since October 2009
- » Russia, Ukraine Oppose Georgieva's Nomination for UN Secretary General
- » Every 20th Bulgarian at Age Over 80
- » Border Police, Prosecutor's Office Uncovers Organised Criminal Group for Human Trafficking
- » Four Policemen Arrested for Corrupiton at Kapitan Andreevo Checkpoint
- » Bulgarian Interior Minister: New Unit for Increasing Border Security To Be Created