Report: Al-Qaeda No. 2 Visited Bulgaria
According to the article Zawahiri visited Switzerland, Bosnia, Bulgaria and Dagestan, a Russian province and even made surreptitious fund-raising swings through Texas, California and New York in the 1990s.
In 1998, Zawahiri and bin Laden officially aligned, and al-Qaeda was born.
In a separate development Ayman al-Zawahiri biographer, Pakistani journalist Hamid Mir, announced that Zawahiri, visited New Zealand and Australia in 1996 to recruit militants.
In those days, in early 1996, he was on a mission to organise his network all over the world, Mir said.
The claims come as Pakistani officials said the previous day they might have cornered al-Zawahiri in a remote area near the Afghan border after two days of intense fighting.
On Saturday Pakistan's military arrested more than 100 suspects in a five-day assault on militants holed up in mud fortresses along the border where al-Qaeda No. 2 Ayman al Zawahri is believed trapped.
Politics » Be a reporter: Write and send your article Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
- » Bulgarian Socialists to Submit Antitrust Package in Early 2014
- » Bulgarian FM Does Not Rule Out South Stream Re-Negotiation
- » Bulgaria's Employment Agency Head Sacked
- » EC: Flaws of South Stream Agreements with Gazprom Revealed in August
- » Bulgarian President: Never Has the World Been So United in Mourning
- » Bulgarian Parliament Pays Tribute to Late Nelson Mandela