Bulgaria, Latvia Exchange EU Pre-accession Experience
The two shared thoughts on the political and economic situation in different parts of Europe.
Vike-Freiberga's arrival is expected to draw the interest of Bulgarian public and journalists, since the two countries share much common history - both have now stepped away from their Soviet-Union dominated past (in 1940 Latvia was absorbed into the Soviet Union and re-emerged in 1991 as an independent state) and are set for joining the EU. At a Copenhagen summit in 2002, the Baltic state was formally invited to join the EU in 2004, and Latvians voted overwhelmingly in favour of EU membership in a referendum in September 2003.
Bulgaria hopes the close pre-accession negotiations in 2004, and join the Union 2007.
- » One in Four Bulgarians to Vote for GERB in Next Elections – Poll
- » Fiasco and Hope After Bulgarian Government Resignation - Der Standard
- » President Rosen Plevneliev Urges Full Disclosure of 'KTB Files'
- » President Plevneliev: Parliament to Solve Key Tasks Before Dissolution
- » GERB Leader Boiko Borisov Returns Mandate
- » Outgoing PM Plamen Oresharski: I Have No Regrets