PM Borisov: Bulgaria Backs Establishment of European Prosecutor's Office
Prime Minister Boyko Borisov expressed Bulgaria's support for the establishment of European public prosecutor's office.
Borisov said this during a meeting with European Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality, Vera Jourova, who is on a official visit to Sofia on Friday.
The main topic of their discussion was the regulation proposed by the European Commission for the establishment of a European public prosecutor's office.
Borisov noted that Bulgaria has been in favour of the establishment of a powerful, independent European prosecutor's office since the start of the discussions on the topic.
In his words, Bulgaria shared the need of institutional measures at European level, which could allow for effective criminal prosecution of fraud and other crimes harming the financial interests of the EU.
Borisov and Jourova also discussed the state of the judicial reform in the country as well as the measures which Bulgaria is taking in the fight against corruption.
The European Commissioner pointed to the importance of increasing the public trust in the judiciary and the prosecution, which would be a clear signal for real results.
Jourova added that she sees the political will necessary for achieving sustainable results in Bulgaria.
She expressed similar opinion during her meeting with Justice Minister Ekaterina Zaharieva, saying that she sees in Zaharieva someone capable of bringing the judicial reform to a successful end.
- » Bulgaria is Among the EU Countries with the Highest Number of Old Aircraft
- » Kristalina Georgieva: I Expect Bulgaria to Enter the Eurozone Waiting Room Next Year
- » Bulgarian PM: EU integration of the Western Balkans Would be Among the Priorities of the Bulgarian Presidency of the EU
- » Maria Gabriel: An Expert Group at European Level will Make a Common Definition of the Issue of False News
- » Minister Pavlova: Bulgaria is Completely Ready for its EU Presidency
- » Bulgarian PM: Dialogue is the Only Solution For Stability in the Former Soviet Space