Bulgarian Authorities 'Arrested Varna-Based Criminal Gang'
A Varna-based criminal gang is responsible for three cases of murder in areas near the center of Bulgaria's capital Sofia, Deputy Chief Prosecutor Borislav Sarafov announced on Sunday.
Sarafov is referring to this month's incident near the Sofia Zoo where Mitko Damyanov, a formerly controversial player in the construction sector, and his wife, were killed, and also to the murder of Borislav Mandzhukov, an owner ot hotels, currency exchange bureaus and chains of clubs, in March 2014.
In a briefing at the Interior Ministry he said all but two members of the group have been arrested and indicted, with their leader Radoslav Kalchev, known as 'Cherniya Rodi' [literally Black Rodi], still being sought.
Charges of participating in an organized criminal gang dealing with drug distribution, prostitution and contract killing have been pressed against all members.
As for January's murders, both Sarafov and Interior Ministry Chief Secretary Svetlozar Lazarov explained the gang had allegedly received BGN 30 000 to kill the Damyanovi family, but stopped short of saying whose order they had carried out.
- » A Case About a Brutal Murder was Solved in Just Few Hours
- » Spain Accused Shakira of Tax Evasion
- » Bulgaria Joins 'International Operation' Against the Digital Currency Investment Scheme OneCoin
- » Jewelry Studio in Burgas was Blown up
- » Terrorists Attacked a Hotel in Kabul
- » Teenager Rushed into a Russian School with an Axe and Lit it on Fire (Video)