56% of Bulgarians Say Religion Has a Positive Role in Society
Fifty-six percent of Bulgarians think religion has a positive role in the society, shows a global survey of Gallup International.
Twelve percent say the contrary.
A global average of 59% of respondent have a positive opinion about the role of religion.
The survey, which is done in the end of each year since 1977, asked 66 806 people in 65 countries whether they think that religion plays a positive, negative or neutral role in their country.
The results in Bulgaria are in line with the average in Eastern Europe, where 54% of the respondents think religion has a positive role in the country. In Western Europe, the attitude towards religion is more secular and the net result (difference between the positive and the negative opinions) is only 4% in favor of the positive.
In six western European countries the negative attitude prevails – Denmark, Belgium, France, Spain, Sweden and the Netherlands. The most positive attitude in the region have the people in Iceland and Portugal.
Most negative opinion on religion in the world have the people in Lebanon with largest negative net result -43%, while the most positive attitude is in Indonesia (95% said religion has a positive role).
The highest positive net average is in Africa (65%), followed by the Americas (54%), the Middle East and North Africa (50%).
Of the G7 countries, most positive attitude towards religion have the residents of USA, where 62% say religion has a positive role and place it in the center of their values. The US are followed by Italy (52%) and Canada (45%). Most negative attitude have the people in France, where the majority (42%) think religion plays a negative role in society, as opposed to 20% who say the contrary.
- » Forest Fire Damage in Bulgaria since Jan 2015 Estimated at BGN 10 M
- » 'Socialist Beer' Adds Appeal to Traditional Buzludzha Fest
- » Bulgarian High School Students Win Gold, 2 Silver Medals at International Olympiad in Informatics
- » Inactivity Rate of Young People in Bulgaria at nearly 73% in 2014
- » Robbie Williams to Perform With His Father at Bulgaria's Spirit of Burgas
- » Bulgaria Will Have World's Most Rapidly Shrinking Population in Next 35 Years - UN